Saturday, January 31, 2015

FCI & SKK approved!

So the month of January was a bit hectic. Between coming back from winter holiday, Liina going through her first heat, going back to work, and tracking trials with the dogs, something great happened... my kennel name was officially approved!

The name I have chosen...

So what does it mean? Why chose this name? Well, it wasn't easy. I checked out a variety of different names on FCI, but many were taken or similar to what I loved. I tossed around something German, French, Finnish to represent the dogs, but none felt right. I tried to go back to my Wisconsin roots, but the same. I couldn't choose anything. Then it came to me. What is something common to all of our dogs- multiple names. 

Ever since we picked up Fallilou he wasn't Fallilou, he was Freddie. Freddie evolved into Fredster, Freddog, F-dog, Fredrick Baxter McCloud (which, by the way, it where "Baxter" comes from; sadly McCloud and it's variants were taken), Leedrick, and Ledrick- just to name a few.  Barbwired Better than the Rest was a bit of a challenge. We didn't want to "steal" Freddie's name, but we loved Baxter, so that's what we decided on! Baxter's name list is a bit shorter, but he has: Baxi, Bax, Captain Wiggles, Stinkwiggles, and Wiggles. Lastly, our Barbwired Champagne became Liina and she has been Liina-Puti, Puti or LP. Simon is especially excellent at renaming the dogs. Surprisingly, they all respond to all their names, especially Baxter with Wiggles and Liina with Puti. Go figure!

So after checking some ideas on FCI and using my trusty thesaurus, I decided on Moniker. 

moniker

 (ˈmɒnɪkəor monicker
n
1. person's name or nickname

It was short, simple, and sweet. Not too far into the alphabet so my dogs wouldn't be shown dead last (in Sweden/Finland, maybe the other Nordics, dogs are shown alphabetically), but also not the very 1st ones either. Right in the middle. I am registered/approved to breed Wirehaired dachshunds in all 3 sizes- Kaninchen, Miniature, and Standard.

The process was surprisingly quick. I sent in my application in September, received an OK from FCI in November, was announced in the December SKK magazine and approved in the middle of January, about 4 months in total. Not too shabby! 

Just because I have a kennel name doesn't mean puppies are around the corner. I won't consider breeding Liina until after her litter at Barbwired, so that can be until age 4. Also, Liina is turning into a gorgeous little dog, but her size is currently unclear. She seems to be taking after her daddy quite a bit and although mom in standard, Liina may end up a mini. We will have to see how big she is at 15 months, but she hasn't grown chest or weight-wise since November, so I think she will just be my little girl. No worries about that, but it means that the search for standard bitch to carry my first litter is still out there.

So there it is! A new kennel name and hopefully a bright future awaits!

1 comment:

  1. It's a great name Julie, for the reason that you have described. I really like it. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete