Sunday, October 12, 2014

Dog ethics

Today I am bringing up a bit of an ethical question... When should a judge (show or working) not judge a dog?

Since showing, I have witnessed several occasions (in various countries) where the dog breeder is judging the dog. I also had at least 1 occasion where the dog that won best male, was to be bred that weekend to the judge's bitch. It is always a bit amazing to me that certain judges seem to have no problem not only judging dogs from their own breeding (read, dog's carrying the kennel name of the judge), but putting them up as Best male or female. I of course, like most people, like my dog to do well and win, but when I see a judge, judging a dog carrying their kennel name, it makes me sour. I think that this is really the right word...  I mean, why even try? If you see that "their" type of dog is not exactly your type, you may as well just go home. Ethically, I think that this situation is really shitty for everyone involved. Do you say something? Report it? Will anything be done? Or does this just make you a poor loser?

I realize in the show world that there are a lot of grey areas: You know the judge personally; you are on the board of the club that invited the judge/host the judge; the judge has used your dog in mating; the judge recognizes well known breeders; the handler of a dog in judging also handles dogs for the judge; etc... How do you handle this? Well, in FCI, each dog is evaluated individually and gets a rating, so if you are lucky, the dog/handler/breeder is not in your class. If you are unlucky, then you show your heart out and hope the judge likes you regardless of everything.

This type of ethical question doesn't just extend to shows though. If you are a breeder and also a working judge, do you judge your own dogs in tracking/hunting/underground, etc... trials? What about dogs from other judges or dogs from your breeding that are living with others?

I think sometimes I like to look through rose colored glasses. I know that you can't win all of the time and life isn't fair, but I wish the playing field was a bit more equal.


EDIT: I guess my post was rather timely. The BOB standard wirehair dachshund at the Eurodog Show was bred by the man that judged it. Needless to say, there was a lot of "colorful" comments about it on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment